Flying to the US? You’ve more choice than ever, with new direct services to Phoenix and Pittsburgh, and extra flights to Seattle and New York. Read on to see what else is new in our autumn 2018 route news round-up.
From 31 March 2019
With its Wild West desert setting and 300 days’ sunshine a year, Phoenix is a hot ticket all year round. Even if you’re visiting on business, there’s plenty to do with a spare day or two (or even a couple of hours).
There are luxury resorts, well-heeled malls, fancy restaurants and renowned golf courses. The city’s arts scene is buzzing and there are plenty of museums worth a visit, including one celebrating Phoenix’s origins as a Native American village.
But it’s the surrounding Sonoran desert that steals the show, and makes the city a fine starting point for hiking or road tripping. The Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam are within reach, as is the longest remaining stretch of Route 66.
American Airlines flights to Phoenix Sky Harbor International run daily from March 31 until October 26, operating from Terminal 3 and using Boeing 777-200 aircraft. OneWorld alliance partner British Airways also operates a daily flight year-round.
From 29 April 2019
Once Pennsylvania’s second city was a byword for steelworks, factory chimneys and tough manual labour. But today’s post-industrial Pittsburgh has been ranked among America’s most liveable cities.
These days it offers a more leisurely lifestyle, with the emphasis on natural beauty. It’s known to many as the City of Bridges (446, no less) and the city centre offers trees, shops, restaurants, museums, galleries and theatres.
Pittsburgh still has all its original gritty charm, but adds some big attractions and unexpected scenic spots. And if city life gets too much even here, the Allegheny Mountains and three major rivers provide some top-class outdoor escapes.
British Airways will be the only airline offering direct flights between London Heathrow and Pittsburgh International. The service runs on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, starting 29 April.
More route news
- British Airways has added flights to Seattle (making 14 per week) and Santiago (5 per week), starting 31 March 2019
- Virgin Atlantic will add an extra daily flight to New York (JFK) from 28 October 2018.
- British Airways has added extra daily flights to Prague and Barcelona, also starting 28 October.
- Air China is adding three weekly flights to Beijing from 29 October 2018.
- British Airways adds another two weekly flights to Sao Paulo from 1 November 2018.
- Royal Air Brunei commences daily non-stop flights to Bandar Seri Bagawan (Brunei) from 28 October. This will reduce journey time by 3.5hr compared with the previous route via Dubai.